gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site

From: Weiss, Juergen
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] New design for Axiom web site
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 20:08:53 +0200

I would also argue in favor of unbundling the lisp system
(gcl). It's not a problem to load compiled C code (for
example socket extensions) into a lisp system (Camm already
posted the code). It bloats the Axiom distribution
unnecessarily. Eventually we had to add CMU distributions
and others. For commercial lisps on the other hand we
can't do it. The Debian and the FreeBSD package system
take care of dependencies. So it was certainly necessary
to add gcl in the beginning to get started on equal level.
With the necessary fixes/patches applied to gcl it will
not be necessary with the future.

With respect to the build system: Generating the lisp
part of Axiom is not very demanding with respect to
the build system. But as soon as the graphics and
dispatcher and other C code comes in, we will probably
need autoconfig and/or configure on the long run. We
have to figure out, where X resides, if signal handling
is BSD or SYSV etc. But that's not very pressing at
the moment.

What we should change immediately is, that the make
variables are not handed down from the toplevel make
step by step. The variables (ENV) should be in a
Makefile.inc, which will get included by every make
file. This will allow to call make in src/interp
or src/algebra selectively during development.

Regards

Juergen Weiss

Juergen Weiss     | Universitaet Mainz, Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung,
address@hidden| 55099 Mainz, Tel: +49(6131)39-26361, FAX:
+49(6131)39-26407