gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] 'base subarchitecture' configuration

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] 'base subarchitecture' configuration
Date: 16 Aug 2002 18:24:50 -0400

Greetings!  Gcl uses libgmp3 for its multiple precision integer
support.  I notice that certain assembler routines provided are
specific to certain *subarchitectures* of a general architecture,
i.e. use ISA extensions not available on all processors of a general
family.  For the purposes of distributing binary packages, (e.g. in
Debian), one would like to configure for the lowest practical common
denominator, e.g. i486 on Intel machines, etc.

1) Is there a pre-prepared way to do this for gmp?
2) Barring that, what would be recommended lowest common denominators
   for the 11 supported Debian platforms?  (i.e. i386, m68k, arm,
   mips(el), s390, alpha, ia64, hppa, sparc, ppc)

On Debian systems, one can actually distribute a variety of shared
libraries and configure the dynamic library loader to automatically and
transparently use the optimal version for the running cpu.   We may
consider this in putting together a future gcl_gmp lib to optimize
performance, but for now we need the common denominators.

Take care,