gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Missing symbols in ansi compatibility mode

From: Paul F. Dietz
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Missing symbols in ansi compatibility mode
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 22:00:58 -0500

Camm Maguire wrote:

> Greetings!  Here it would greatly help if someone could categorize and
> prioritize these and provide a *brief* blurb as to there purpose.
> I'll read the spec as well, but it will greatly speed up the process.

Here are the blurbs...

> > *COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME*

  Bound to (pathname (merge-pathnames input-file)) during a call
  to compile-file.

> > *COMPILE-FILE-TRUENAME*

  Bound to (truename *compile-file-pathname*) during calls to
  compile-file.

> > *COMPILE-PRINT*
> > *COMPILE-VERBOSE*
  These are the default values of the :print and :verbose arguments
  to compile-file.

> > *GENSYM-COUNTER*
  Used by GENSYM to store the number it sticks onto the end of the
  symbol's print name.

> > *LOAD-PATHNAME*
> > *LOAD-TRUENAME*
  Bound to (pathname (merge-pathnames input-file)) and
  (truename *load-pathname*), respectively, during calls to LOAD.

> > *LOAD-PRINT*
  The default value of the :print argument to LOAD.

> > *PRINT-LINES*
  "When the value of *print-lines* is other than nil, it is a
   limit on the number of output lines produced when something is pretty
   printed. If an attempt is made to go beyond that many lines, ``..''
   is printed at the end of the last line followed by all of the suffixes
   (closing delimiters) that are pending to be printed."

> > *PRINT-MISER-WIDTH*
  "If it is not nil, the pretty printer switches to a compact
   style of output (called miser style) whenever the width available
   for printing a substructure is less than or equal to this many ems."

> > *PRINT-PPRINT-DISPATCH*
  "The pprint dispatch table which currently controls the pretty printer."

> > *PRINT-READABLY*
  When true, causes objects to print in a form that when read back in with
  the standard readtable generates a 'similar' object.

> > *PRINT-RIGHT-MARGIN*
  "If it is non-nil, it specifies the right margin (as integer number of ems)
   to use when the pretty printer is making layout decisions.
   If it is nil, the right margin is taken to be the maximum line length
   such that output can be displayed without wraparound or truncation.
   If this cannot be determined, an implementation-dependent value is used."

> > *READ-EVAL*
  "If it is true, the #. reader macro has its normal effect. Otherwise,
   that reader macro signals an error of type reader-error." Note: the #.
   reader macro causes the following form to be evaluated; turning this
   off is a good idea for security when reading an unknown input.

> > BASE-CHAR
   A subtype of CHARACTER and supertype of STANDARD-CHAR.  It could be the
   same as CHARACTER, but need not be.

> > BASE-STRING
   A string containing BASE-CHARs, equivalent to the type (vector base-char).
   Can also take a size specifier:  (base-string 1000), (base-string *)

> > BOOLEAN
   Equivalent to the type (member nil t).

> > BROADCAST-STREAM
   A stream class.  A broadcase-stream splits output among several output
   streams.
> > BROADCAST-STREAM-STREAMS
   A function that returns the list of output streams for a broadcast-stream.

> > CELL-ERROR-NAME
   An accessor giving the name of a cell-error object.

> > CLASS
   Metaclass whose elements are classes.

> > COMPILE-FILE-PATHNAME
   Returns the pathname that compile-file would write into, if given
   the same arguments.

> > COMPILER-MACRO
   Argument to DOCUMENTATION; causes it to return the documentation string
   of the compiler macro associated with a given function name.

> > COMPILER-MACRO-FUNCTION
   Accesses the compiler macro function for a given symbol.

> > COMPLEMENT
   (defun complement (fn)
      #'(lambda (&rest args) (not (apply fn args))))

> > CONCATENATED-STREAM
   An input stream that is obtained by reading sequentially from
   a set of input streams.
> > CONCATENATED-STREAM-STREAMS
   Accessor giving the list of input streams from which a concatenated-stream
   reads.

> > CONSTANTLY
   (defun constantly (k)
      #'(lambda (&rest args) (declare (ignore args)) k))

> > COPY-PPRINT-DISPATCH
   "Creates and returns a copy of the specified pprint dispatch table,
    or of the value of *print-pprint-dispatch* if no table is specified,
    or of the initial value of *print-pprint-dispatch* if nil is
    specified."

> > COPY-STRUCTURE
   Returns a copy of a structure.

> > DEBUG
   An optimization setting; tells the compiler how much to generate easily
   debugged code.

> > DEFINE-COMPILER-MACRO
   A macro that defines a compiler macro (normally at the top level).

> > DEFINE-SETF-EXPANDER
   The mechanism by which one can define how accessors are treated by
   SETF, INCF, etc.

> > DEFINE-SYMBOL-MACRO
   Defines symbol macros (at the top level).  Note that if X is a symbol
   with a symbol macro expansion, then (SETQ X ...) uses that expansion
   (as does (SETF X ...)).

> > DEFPACKAGE
   The prefered means for defining packages, rather than using package
   primitive operations (import, export, etc.)  A rather complicated macro.

> > DELETE-PACKAGE
   Function that deletes a package object from the system.  Some details
   in the interaction of this with symbols and other packages.

> > DESCRIBE-OBJECT
   A generic function printing a description of an object to a specified
   stream.

> > DYNAMIC-EXTENT
   A declaration specifier that tells the compiler that the object need only
   exist for the lifetime of a binding.  This enables objects (like cons cells
   or closures) to be allocated on the stack.  GCL should probably just ignore
   this declaration to begin with, but in the future it might (for example)
   use it to generated nested C function declarations to avoid having to heap
   allocate closures.

> > ECHO-STREAM
> > ECHO-STREAM-INPUT-STREAM
> > ECHO-STREAM-OUTPUT-STREAM
   ECHO-STREAM is a stream class; the two functions access its connections.

> > ENSURE-DIRECTORIES-EXIST
  "Tests whether the directories containing the specified file actually
   exist, and attempts to create them if they do not."

> > EXTENDED-CHAR
   A type equivalent to (and character (not base-char)).

> > FDEFINITION
   "fdefinition accesses the current global function definition named
    by [a function name]. The definition may be a function or may be
    an object representing a special form or macro. The value returned
    by fdefinition when fboundp returns true but the function name
    denotes a macro or special form is not well-defined, but fdefinition
    does not signal an error."

> > FILE-STREAM
   A stream class. "An object of type file-stream is a stream the
   direct source or sink of which is a file. Such a stream is created
   explicitly by open and with-open-file, and implicitly by functions
   such as load that process files."

> > FILE-STRING-LENGTH
   (file-string-length stream object) returns the difference between
   what (file-position stream) would be after writing object and its
   current value, or nil if this cannot be determined.

> > FLOATING-POINT-INEXACT
   A kind of error condition that occurs in certain floating point
   operations.  A subclass of arithmetic-error.

> > FLOATING-POINT-INVALID-OPERATION
   A kind of error condition that occurs in certain floating point
   operations.  A subclass of arithmetic-error.

> > FORMATTER
   Given a format string, returns a function that (in effect) calls
   format (to the standard output) on that format string and the
   remaining arguments.  Returns the list of arguments not consumed
   by the format call (or NIL if all are consumed).

> > FUNCTION-LAMBDA-EXPRESSION
   Returns information about a function.  This can include the lambda
   expression, the closure in which the function is defined, and the name
   of the function (if any).  The standard allows great freedom in these
   three return values, requiring only that the second (the closure) be
   non-nil iff the function was not defined in a null lexical environment.

> > GET-SETF-EXPANSION
   Used to get the setf expansion of a 'place'.  This is used in defining
   macros like INCF or POP.

> > HASH-TABLE-REHASH-SIZE
> > HASH-TABLE-REHASH-THRESHOLD
   Get information about a hash table pertaining to the mechanism that
determines
   when the hash table is to be resized.

> > IGNORABLE
   A declaration specifier; it tells the compiler that a lexical binding may
   (but not necessarily will) be ignored.  This is used to suppress unused
   variable warnings, and is usually used in macros.

> > INTERACTIVE-STREAM-P
   Return true if the argument (which is a stream) is an 'interactive stream'.

> > LOAD-LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS
   "Searches for and loads the definition of a logical host,
    if it is not already defined. The specific nature of the search is
    implementation-defined. If the host is already defined, no attempt
    to find or load a definition is attempted, and false is returned.
    If the host is not already defined, but a definition is successfully
    found and loaded, true is returned. Otherwise, an error is signaled."

     (I don't fully understand the logical host mechanism)

> > LOAD-TIME-VALUE
   A special form that delays the evaluation of its argument until load time.

> > LOGICAL-PATHNAME
   Both a class (of implementation-independent pathnames), and the name of
   a function that produces logical pathnames from pathspecs.

> > LOGICAL-PATHNAME-TRANSLATIONS
   An accessor that returns a host's list of translations. Each translation
   is a list of at least two elements: from-wildcard and to-wildcard. Any
   additional elements are implementation-defined. From-wildcard is a
   logical pathname whose host is the specified host. To-wildcard is a
   pathname.

> > MAKE-LOAD-FORM
   The generic function make-load-form creates and returns one or two forms,
   a creation-form and an initialization-form, that enable load to construct
   an object equivalent to the object.

> > MAKE-LOAD-FORM-SAVING-SLOTS
   "Returns forms that, when evaluated, will construct an object equivalent
    to an object, without executing initialization forms. The slots in the new
    object that correspond to initialized slots in object are initialized
    using the values from the object. Uninitialized slots in the object are not
    initialized in the new object. make-load-form-saving-slots works for
    any instance of standard-object or structure-object."

> > MAKE-METHOD
   (I don't understand this one; it has to do with method combination, I think.)

> > NTH-VALUE
   Returns the nth value of a form that is returning multiple values.
   (nth-value n form) ==  (nth n (multiple-value-list form))

> > OPEN-STREAM-P
   Predicate on streams that is true iff the stream is open.

> > PARSE-ERROR
   A subclass of ERROR.

> > PATHNAME-MATCH-P
   Predicate that returns true if a given pathname matches a given wildcard
   pathname.

> > PPRINT-DISPATCH
> > PPRINT-EXIT-IF-LIST-EXHAUSTED
> > PPRINT-FILL
> > PPRINT-INDENT
> > PPRINT-LINEAR
> > PPRINT-LOGICAL-BLOCK
> > PPRINT-NEWLINE
> > PPRINT-POP
> > PPRINT-TAB
> > PPRINT-TABULAR
   Pretty printer things.

> > PRINT-NOT-READABLE
   A subclass of ERROR.  When signalled indicates that the system tried to print
   an unreadable object when *print-readably* was true.

> > PRINT-NOT-READABLE-OBJECT
   The object field of a PRINT-NOT-READABLE object.  This was the unreadable
   object.

> > PRINT-UNREADABLE-OBJECT
   Macro used to print unreadable objects.

> > READ-SEQUENCE
   Reads from a stream directly into a sequence.  This can be useful when doing
   low-level character IO.

> > READER-ERROR
   A subclass of PARSE-ERROR that occurs when the lisp reader finds a syntax
   error.

> > READTABLE-CASE
   Accessor for setting/reading the case sensitivity mode of a readtable object.

> > ROW-MAJOR-AREF
   Accessor that treats an array as a vector in row major order.

> > SET-PPRINT-DISPATCH
   Associates a pretty printing function with a type specifier.  Any object
   matching that type specifier is printed using the function.

> > SIMPLE-BASE-STRING
   A type, equivalent to (simple-array base-char (*)).  Can also be used
   in a compound type specifier with a length field (either a number or *).

> > SIMPLE-CONDITION-FORMAT-CONTROL
   Returns the format control (a format string or a function like those
   returned by FORMATTER) associated with a SIMPLE-CONDITION.

> > STREAM-EXTERNAL-FORMAT
   Returns an external format designator for the file associated with a stream.

> > STRING-STREAM
   A subclass of STREAM; its objects are streams that read from or write to
   strings.

> > STRUCTURE-OBJECT
   "The class structure-object is an instance of structure-class and
    is a superclass of every class that is an instance of structure-class
    except itself, and is a superclass of every class that is defined by
    defstruct."

> > STYLE-WARNING
   "The type style-warning includes those conditions that represent
    situations involving code that is conforming code but that is
    nevertheless considered to be faulty or substandard."

> > SYNONYM-STREAM
   A subclass of STREAM.  "A stream that is an alias for another stream,
   which is the value of a dynamic variable whose name is the synonym
   stream symbol of the synonym stream."
> > SYNONYM-STREAM-SYMBOL
   See above.

> > TRANSLATE-LOGICAL-PATHNAME
    Converts pathnames (or streams) into the corresponding physical pathname.

> > TRANSLATE-PATHNAME
    Converts pathnames using wildcard pathname designators.

> > TWO-WAY-STREAM
> > TWO-WAY-STREAM-INPUT-STREAM
> > TWO-WAY-STREAM-OUTPUT-STREAM
   Subclass of STREAM that allows bidirectional I/O to/from the input/output
   streams.  The two functions access these substreams.

> > UNBOUND-SLOT
   Subclass of CELL-ERROR.
> > UNBOUND-SLOT-INSTANCE
   Accessor for UNBOUND-SLOT objects.

> > UPGRADED-ARRAY-ELEMENT-TYPE
   "Returns the element type of the most specialized array representation
    capable of holding items of the type denoted by a typespec."

> > UPGRADED-COMPLEX-PART-TYPE
   "Returns the part type of the most specialized complex number
    representation that can hold parts of a typespec."

> > WILD-PATHNAME-P
   Predicate that tests a pathname for the presence of wildcard components.

> > WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT
   Macro that executes forms from left to right. Within the dynamic
   environment of with-compilation-unit, actions deferred by the compiler
   until the end of compilation will be deferred until the end of the
   outermost call to with-compilation-unit.

> > WITH-CONDITION-RESTARTS
   (I don't understand this one.)

> > WITH-PACKAGE-ITERATOR
   A macro that enables one to iterate over the symbols (of various kinds)
   from one or more packages.

> > WITH-STANDARD-IO-SYNTAX
   Macro that binds *package*, various *print-...*, *read-...* and *readtable*
   variables to their 'standard' values, and executes forms within that
   dynamic environment.

> > WRITE-SEQUENCE
   Writes elements from a sequence to an output stream.