gash-devel

Need help building Gash

From: Greg Davidson
Subject: Need help building Gash
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 18:01:11 -0800

I am excited to see the Gash project.  I would very much like to have the
syntax of a Posix Shell on top of Guile.  I would ditch Bash in a heartbeat
and recommend Gash to everyone.  And I realize it's early days.

I cloned the repository on my Gnu/Linux system.  I ran into two problems
building it.  One easily fixed (although you might update the INSTALL
document): One needs to run ./bootstrap before running ./configure

The other problem might be more of a problem:

$ ./configure
checking whether make supports nested variables... (cached) yes
./configure: line 2385: syntax e5yyrror near unexpected token `2.2'
./configure: line 2385: `GUILE_PKG(2.2 2.0)'

Poking around, I wonder if I may have too recent a copy of Guile?

$  guile --version
guile: warning: failed to install locale
guile (GNU Guile) 3.0.7

My guile was installed with Guix (on top of Gnu/Linux Mint).  I'm wondering
if perhaps Gash might be available through Guix soon?

I look forward to hacking on Gash when that becomes possible.

Thanks for what you're doing,

_Greg