gap-dev-discuss

[Gap-dev-discuss] hot plug storage

From: Heikki Lindholm
Subject: [Gap-dev-discuss] hot plug storage
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 10:39:23 +0200

Hello list,

After over a decade of not having used it, I decided to see how would GNUstep suit one's desktop needs these days. So I quickly set it up from FreeBSD ports (WDM, WindowMaker, all the GNUStep ports I could find). As a desktop system, I'm seeing quite a few omissions compared to recent GNOME or others.

I'll start off with one of the most basic ones that comes to mind: (USB / CD-ROM) storage hot plugging and automounting as implemented on other desktops via udisks, hal, thunar-volman, etc. Is there anything like that in GNUstep or GAP or GWorkspace? The most natural way of implementing it would seem to be wrapping udisks/hal inside a copy of Apple's DiskArbitration API.

I haven't yet checked out the latest source code, or verified how old the versions FreeBSD ports provides are, so maybe many of the omissions I see are not relevant anymore, or implemented somewhere else, such as Etoile(?)

Best Regards,
Heikki Lindholm