fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Trump and software freedom

From: Leah Rowe
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Trump and software freedom
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 17:30:26 +0100

USA and EU are both against internet freedoms.
In EU recently there was article 3, 11 and 13 of the newly revamped
copyright directive, which essentially enables internet censorshp by law
.

Good thing we're leaving the EU next year.

On 15/09/18 11:41, Rashid Mhar wrote:
> John, thanks for this information. Very useful insight to see what
>  direction future pressures are coming from. We have the EUCD and
> this US expansive approach. A rock and a hard place indeed if we
> are to look for competing power blocs to protect internet and
> software freedom. The easiest to see if the extension of creative
> copyright however this has been under pressure in all
> jurisdictions, with massive pressure from global media
> corporations, Sony, Time-Warner etc for some time. With some
> resistance (sneaky and self serving imho) from Google, Facebook
> etc, who seek to avoid running afoul of their special protections
> as (fake ??) platforms.
>
> However in the blog I can't find and understand the relevant lines
> on government procurement regulation, could you help illustrate
> this a little please?
>
> On the EUCD I did get one reply from MEP's a longish one from
> Julie Ward, she says she is supporting EUCD because she wants to
> protect artists. I am considering a reply to her, but I don't think
> it's open for discussion with her, most of the email is very
> standard, and it looks like a copy + paste standard reply in most
> part. I will go through it more slowly at some point, and put
> relevant parts (if found) on the mail list threads.
>
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 21:05, John Rooke <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> The post-NAFTA negotiations are beginning to reveal Trump's
>> international trade agenda.  Michael Geist gives a nice summary
>> of the IP aspects of the US-Mexico draft agreement
>> <http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2018/08/crunch-time-in-the-nafta-negotiat
ions/>

<http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2018/08/crunch-time-in-the-nafta-negotiation
s/>.
>> The mostt obvious threat to software freedom seems to lie in the
>> government procurement regulation. --
>>
>> John Rooke
>>
>> Wittgenstein's Builders Blog <http://jalfro.altervista.org>
>>
>> Greater Manchester Trade Action
>> <https://tradeactionblog.wordpress.com/>

- --
Sorry for not answering emails for several weeks. Or for shipping
Minifree laptops for several weeks. I'm currently recovering from
Gender Reassignment Surgery, and I'm not allowed to do any heavy
lifting at the moment. I'm bed-ridden at present.

I have outsoured all physical Minifree work (flashing, shipping,
packing etc) to a third party (a friend who I've hired). However, I
still have to handle emails and banking and coordinate with this
person. Until recently I've been mentally drained. There are two
aspects to my surgery recovery: mental and physical. For the last week
or so I've been mentally much better and slowly catching up on work.

If you're worried that you won't receive your laptop, don't worry: you
will receive it.
If you've emailed me to ask for a refund, you will also receive a
refund. (I always answer emails before shipping anything, to make sure
that I don't accidentally ship to someone who wishes to cancel their
order for whatever reason that may be)

Leah Rowe

Libreboot developer and project founder.

Use free software. Free as in freedom.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Use a free BIOS - https://libreboot.org/
Use a free operating system, GNU+Linux.

Support computer user freedom
https://sfconservancy.org/
https://fsf.org/ - https://gnu.org/

Minifree Ltd, trading as Ministry of Freedom | Registered in England,
No. 9361826 | VAT No. GB202190462
Registered Office: 19 Hilton Road, Canvey Island, Essex SS8 9QA, UK |
Web: https://minifree.org/