fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Becta's Open Source Schools "Innovation Seminar"

From: Tim Dobson
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Becta's Open Source Schools "Innovation Seminar"
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:29:14 +0100

I have some answers. These are the plain answers without my opinion. I'm a bit busy right now listening. :)

Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Tim Dobson <address@hidden> wrote:
Is the proposed "National Digital Resource Bank" - being built by a north
west based company going to be a sham or really useful? According to a
leaflet I managed to dig out it said it was going to be Creative Commons
licenced but fail to say which licence, which makes that assertion almost
useless.

+1

license clarity is really crucial

it's probably worthwhile asking about license compatibility

Content added by Local Education Authorities, Schools etc will be licenced by default as CC-BY-NC-SA

Content added by other people may be differently but it will be clearly listed on the download page.

They are very clear that they want "open content licences" - don't ask me what that *actually* means but they say "sharing" is key.

All content is taken in and is Quality Assessed, tagged and mapped etc by the administrators.

"The National Digital Resource Bank is set to become the largest
project in UK Education. Using a licence free product developed in
Spain. ndrb will provide Local Authorities with the largest collection
of open content available that is compatible with all commonly used
Learning Platforms."

huh?

"licence free product" ...?

is this free software? public domain? freeware? royalty free?

They mean, they are using: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrega (http://www.proyectoagrega.es/default/Inicio ) - GPL as far as i can see.

They are new to free software but the person talking seems to know what she is talking about.

Sirius - run by Mark Taylor of ex-OSC fame - is developing the system with them.

I think they'd be open to discussion.

Tim