fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] SFD09 – The final call for v olunteers

From: Robert Burrell Donkin
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] SFD09 – The final call for v olunteers
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:26:37 +0100

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:28 PM, Leslie I'Anson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As you all know Software Freedom Day 2009 is due to take place on
> Saturday, 19th September at the University of Manchester
> <http://manchester.fsuk.org/blog/2009/09/08/manchester-software-freedom-day-19th-september-2009/>
> and many of you have already expressed a keen interest in attending
> and participating.
>
> Now that we are less then two weeks away, it is time to finalise these
> arrangements and get your name on the SFD team wiki
> <http://softwarefreedomday.org/teams/europe/uk/manchester>.

i'm definitely going to be around this saturday (moving into halls and
preparing for the induction week)

i'm a coder[1] (over towards the OS end of the FOSS spectrum) and an
Apache Member[1] with an interest (if you can call it that) in legal
(and licensing) issues, community building and FOSS organisational
structures.

looks like the stuff you're planning is all aimed at end user
evangelism. which is cool. outside practical crypto, this isn't my
strength. but if it turns out you find yourselves short of someone to
pick up some of the more esoteric technical stuff (coding, legal,
licensing or organisational), then i'd probably be able to do a lot of
that off the cuff. i'll try to drop in early and leave a mobile phone
number.

given the progress made on breaking SHA-1[3], i'm very keen to swap my
new openpgp code signing key with others in the FOSS web of trust. if
there are people interested, i'd be happy to do key signing party (if
there isn't one already) or talk people through how to set up GnuPG[4]
to generate strong keys and strong links in the WOT[4][5].

good luck and have fun :-)

- robert

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/members.html
[2] http://www.ohloh.net/accounts/robertburrelldonkin