fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:42:00 +0100

On 18/01/2008, Richard Smedley <address@hidden> wrote:

> I've got a 1995 beige PowerMac.
> Of course many recent Apples aren't so upgradeable,

I got an XO last week and someone said yesterday, "I'm surprised Apple
isn't involved with these things" and I said "Errrr, Apple is the
total antithesis of this; expensive premium exclusive elitist stuff
and in terms of learning about computers, an agent of ignorance - they
hate sharing software and you knowing how their software works - only
Apple employees are allowed to do that."

They then started talking about Raskin and the team who made the
Macintosh in 1984 - as if that was at all relevant to 2008.

Apple's hardware is increasingly less upgradable, and the Air laptop -
no battery replacement, hermetically sealed - is the latest and most
extreme example of this.

--
Regards,
Dave