fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Enterprise software" - request for info

From: Lucy
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Enterprise software" - request for info
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 18:34:54 +0000

On 03/12/2007, Fraser How <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Free Folk,
>
> (I'm not talking about Star Trek :)
>
> I have a friend about to walk further into the microsoft bog by going
> with Sharepoint accross his company.
>
> Does anyone have info about or pointers to good free alternatives for
> this kind of enterprise level, document/content management solution? Or
> know of any good discussions of the subject available online?
>
> Any thoughts much appreciated,

While I've not much experience with it personally, we use Plone at
work, which might be worth looking into as it's quite enterprise-y. I
can't say how similar it is to Sharepoint though because I've not
really used Sharepoint. The main problem I think with using an
alternative will be the lack of integration with MS Office -
Sharepoint gives the option to 'open this in Word' which users seem to
like (you might even be able to publish from Office too but I'm not
sure), however if Sharepoint has yet to be used then the users won't
be able to miss those 'features'.