fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] OOXML

From: Simon Ward
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] OOXML
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:36:02 +0100

You’ve probably heard that the US representation for ISO things (INCITS)
voted short of approval to fast‐track the standardisation of OOXML (MS’s
XML‐based document format)[0].

I want to make sure we’re not just sitting back and getting all
big‐headed because we’re winning.  OOXML can still be standardised in
its current form, it may just take longer.  The problem is, the current
OOXML specification is broken, and unfit to be an open standard.  Among
other things it contains vague specifications of elements for
compatibility with older products, no patent protection.  If OOXML is
standardised, it is likely that MS will put their full weight behind it
without any intention of interoperability, rather than conceeding and
making the necessary modifications for OOXML to be a truyl open standard
that all can support or supporting the existing OpenDocument Format.
The issues in the current specification of OOXML allow for vendor
lock‐in, and then we’re back where we started.

More information can be found on the <NO>OOXML site[1], where there’s
also a petition for ISO members to vote against the standardisation of
OOXML[2].  As always, Groklaw also has a ton of information[3].

[0]:
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070811-microsoft-one-vote-short-of-fast-track-ooxml-iso-standardization.html
[1]: http://www.noooxml.org/
[2]: http://www.noooxml.org/petition
[3]: http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=20051216153153504

Enough looking at the negative aspects.  Another way to improve the
situation is to promote the use of OpenDocument Format, already an ISO
standard, wherever possible.  It is supported by OpenOffice[4],
AbiWord[5], and KOffice[6].  There are plugins for others including
Microsoft Office (from the OpenOffice page[4]), so beginning to use ODF
for documents needn’t be a major hassle.  More information can be found
on the OpenDocument Fellowship site[7].  Someone has also gone to the
trouble of creating a nice, bold logo[8] that could be used in
promotional materials.

[4]: http://www.sun.com/software/star/openoffice/
[5]: http://www.abisource.com/
[6]: http://www.koffice.org/