fsuk-manchester

[Fsuk-manchester] Changes in the GPLv3 (was: Welcome to the list!)

From: Simon Ward
Subject: [Fsuk-manchester] Changes in the GPLv3 (was: Welcome to the list!)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 21:54:55 +0100

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:47:19PM +0100, Peter Colton wrote:

> To get a starting point on GPL3 the two videos I whachted that broke the ice
> for me where.
>
> " 3rd International Conference on GPLv3, Spain "
>
> # Overview of GPLv3 changes by Richard Stallman
>
> # Eben Moglen discussing the wording of the changes
>
> At >    http://gplv3.fsf.org/av
[...]
> You can watch the video of Richard Stallman announcing the release and giving
> an overview of the major changes at the FSF's Boston office on June 29, 2007
>
> http://gplv3.fsf.org/

Thanks for those links. I didn’t know of them, but hadn’t got around to
looking...

I’m actually one of those people hanging back with GPLv2 (without any
“or later” wording in my copyright statements). I want to understand the
new version before I decide to use it on my projects, and more
information helps.

> Questions like what will happen to the linux kernel with GPL3 and one
> question I have not been in touch with at late is how will debian work with
> GPL3. Would be food for thougth.

Given the premise that the GPLv3 should not remove any freedom to
distribute the software, and also should not affect independent
software, I don’t think there will be a problem. The best place to look
and find out more about the GPLv3 and DFSG is probably the debian-legal
list archives. A brief look shows a nice big thread “Final text of
GPLv3”.

Simon
simple system that works.
    — John Gaule