Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BBC's DRM Iplayer windows only
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 12:41:10 +0100

Hey,

[...]
I thought this was poor response, with the Government doing nothing more
than stating the Trust's pre-petition stance?

That's my interpretation as well.

Either way, if the Beeb intend to widen the range of OS it runs on then
they presumably have a plan.  Have they publicised any bits of that,
e.g. what third-party bits of software have they commissioned be ported,
what other bits are they relying on the third-party to decide to port
and have no direct control over whether that happens, what's the current
rough estimates for these.

Wonder if BBC plan is to run something on top of MS's Silverlight (might have read this somewhere already).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverlight

http://silverlight.net/

I guess the BBC would have no quarrels with a proprietary linux application to fulfil their requirement set down by the Trust. Would be better if they were obliged to use open standards and free software to achieve cross-platform compatibility.

Cheers
Jon
--
linkme: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jongrant