Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Replacing/Displacing Microsoft

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Replacing/Displacing Microsoft
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:17:04 +0100

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:26:44 "J.R. Seago" wrote:
> Thank you all for your comments they have been very helpful. It would
> appear that the costs are a very minor factor, so minor that I am
> rethinking my approach.
>
> Perhaps it is outlook that needs altering, and an appreciation that
> Microsoft is not 'ALL' there is available, plus an appreciation that
> other, not only GNU/Linux, Operating systems exist, and may be both
> more reliable, and less vulnerable.

We work almost solely with third sector groups (voluntary and community
organisations, and social enterprises), and we find they are very
interested in the ideas of freedom and community behind Free Software.

Unlike (many) businesses, third sector groups are not afraid to talk
of morality & ethics. More directly you could look to the group's
stated aims, mission statement, etc. Often these include paraphrased
statements in favour of community, inclusiveness, education and
sharing - but nothing about keeping knowledge secret, and stopping
organisations working together ;-/

 - Richard

--
Richard Smedley,                                         address@hidden
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - address@hidden