Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Cheats!
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:20:21 +0000

Paul Tansom wrote:

There's a bit in the Michaels Minute blog (now separated from being an
official Linspire thing) about it. The idea is to present the software
as a packaged product that can be picked up from store shelves to get
more people to use it

He's got the right idea - people really don't know how to "buy" free software. If you put it on a shelf in a shop with a label - it goes - even with a zero price tag.

Largely it is the being in a shop. gives them the confidence that it is a genuine product - for some value of genuine.

The funny thing about this, is coversation over the weekend on spyware was the quotation "I only buy software from reputable companies", I didn't have the heart to mention the episode with the spyware not being spyware if it is Microsoft spyware, as he clearly still had Microsoft listed mentally as reputable, and presumably Sony, and all the OEMs who ship spyware preinstalled into customised IE installs.....

People need a big education, but that is even harder than the free software sell.