Re: [Fsfe-uk] dotP

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] dotP
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 23:04:04 +0000

Alex Hudson wrote:

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 21:53 +0000, Graham Seaman wrote:
Richard Allen asked a parliamentary question about it and uncovered the fact that takeup of if has been awful:
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/?id=2004-11-16.1237W.0&s=dotp#g1237W.2

Hehehe. Is that a special glum Richard Allen for when he's asking about
Govt IT spending, do you think?

~£40M (with more to come, I expect) on content management is possibly a
trifle expensive, but it's basically BEA Weblogic.
What? They spent £35m on weblogic? How? And what they've done won't sit on top of anything else?

Why isn't it free software? Would that have worked? Might it have made all these purchases of proprietary cms s unnecessary? Is it a possible campaign?

Maybe, although free software CMSes aren't quite at the same level of
sophistication (although, they do have a bulk import tool to bring in
content, which apparently DoTP didn't have til 2004q4 ;). I would
suspect Plone would have sufficed, though.

No, I meant 'why isn't dotP free software'? Developed with tax money, supposed to be used by as many departments as possible to recoup the expenses, and it's closed source? Why? What do they gain by that? And as for sophistication and government-oriented applications, ins't APLAWS+ supposed to be this? Though if dotP is a league above that, I still don't understand why it can't be free software - is it because they left the copyrights with their outsourced developers?

Graham

It would be an interesting piece of research for someone to trawl
through Hansard and the news sites, looking for costings of Govt. ICT
solutions, and totting them up. I seem to remember Paul Boateng MP
giving terribly evasive answers about IT costs, but there have been
others which have been more definite. A free software solution could
also be built upon, which you would have thought would mean those
departments that went elsewhere - DTI/BusinessLink et al. - could have
just developed what was already there. Bonus points, then, if the piece
of research did projected cost savings.

On a similar note, the free software field trials are also published -
you can pick them up on various websites. OFE have a 50-page doc in
their library, outlining the various trials. Most of them consist of IBM
running Domino server on GNU/Linux. A similar "What if it were all free
software?" could again be done; not just trying to say "X is costly, but
Y is free, therefore free software could have delivered £Z savings", but
working through the implications of the benefits of free software.

If anyone feels like taking up the project(s) mail me; I have lots of
sources you could start on ;)

Cheers,

Alex.