Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bromcom undead ?

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bromcom undead ?
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:26:58 +0000

Ian Lynch wrote:

My understanding was that the bit that was upheld was some specific and
fairly obscure protocols that were implemented in the original systems.
This means that general purpose wireless networking was OK, but you
couldn't use the specific protocils BromCom "invented". Not much of a
problem since I know of no-one who needs to use these.

My impression was also that the general claims for trasfer of pupil data by wireless were struck out, but that some aspects of Bromcom's protocols were left standing.

Are we reasonably confident that common-or-garden WiFi couldn't be interpreted as making use of the Bromcom patented protocols ?

(I think somebody posted to that effect on this list a few months ago, but I can't remember the details)