Re: [Fsfe-uk] re: distribution without copyright

From: Lee Braiden
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] re: distribution without copyright
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 22:10:47 +0000

Chris Croughton wrote:

You know, I've heard of this thing called the internet.  It's wonderful,
I don't have to ask a distributor for a copy of the source, I just use a
search engine and it's usually in the first few entries.  Assuming that
the author wants their source out there, all they have to do is put it
on a website
Yes, I got the impression you were thinking of current technology as a solution to all this. I think the difference between us here is that I still consider the internet very young and unregulated, and certainly the 'big players' who own major portions of it haven't settled down yet. I don't believe it will always be that way, and it would be very unwise, imho, to trust the very creativity of our culture to current circumstances. Virtually all new areas of human endeavour are new, exciting, and unregulated when they first start out.

I think that abolishing copyright outright would cause problems, just as
abolishing the speed limit would, because people have got used to the
idea and will mostly react with excess.  But that's not the same as
either of them being necessary (for instance, the speed limit could be
replaced by having tougher penalties on actual damage caused, copyright
by fraud laws).
Well, personally, I disagree. To me, prevention is better than cure, and no amount of penalty will make up for losing what you hold dear. I would much rather have laws to codify responsible behaviour than laws to scare people or punish them for bad behaviour.

- Lee.