Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Source briefings from OSS Watch

From: Graham Seaman
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Open Source briefings from OSS Watch
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:25:41 +0000

Hi Stuart

Replying to the list +cc rather than sending it to info alone, because I think it makes more sense for comments to go somewhere public they might be discussed. Hope that's ok.

Stuart Yeates wrote:

These documents are covered by the GNU Free Documentation Licence and we are keen for feedback on their content and usefulness. Please send your comments to address@hidden (it's a request tracker queue, so your comments don't get lost).

OSS Watch briefings include:

[6] http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/resources/duallicence.xml

I think there is some ambiguity in this one. Firstly, it isn't clear whether the sentence 'None of these uses of the term dual licensing is a threat in either the short nor the long-term to the open source movement' applies to the original definition (the bulk of the text) or the second list of alternative meanings. I also assume that it isn't the >term< 'dual licensing' that is being considered as a potential threat, but the practice.

But secondly, and more practically, one of the practices you say is sometimes known as dual licensing is 'Licensing software and the supporting documentation separately'. This does seem to me be a threat if it becomes a general practice. For example, JBoss is supplied without documentation, but is a very large package which is almost impossible to use without documentation. The documentation is non-free and has to be paid for at a rate that is difficult for individuals to pay (at least, this was true a couple of years ago; I'm assuming that practice hasn't changed). This kind of practice gives commercial groups the ability to claim their software is free while in practice limiting access to corporates; it creates a barrier to entry to that software. I believe the GFDL was set up originally to emphasize exactly this point - that for software to be free, documentation also needs to be free.

I'm pretty sure you'd agree with this and it's just a question of being explicit in the wording, but thought I should point it out anyway...

Cheers
Graham