[Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information

From: Simon
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Intro and a request for information
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 19:52:42 +0000

Greetings all,

I've been subscribed to this list for about a year - lurking! To cut a
long story short, I've just started my first teaching post and been busy
the last year doing my teacher training.

I was told about this list by a member of SLUG (what happened to SLUG?)
and subscribed as I believe "education" is part of the lists interests.
I haven't been able to keep up to date with all the postings, but have
read, with interest, when I have been able.

However, now for my request... I'm teaching ICT in a secondary school.
One of my incentives to get into teaching ICT is to get Linux into the
classroom. I have been given the go ahead, by my Head of Dept, to start
a "Computer Science Club" after school, basically getting the kids to
play with Linux. The school is using RM for the network, and I want to
install any Linux distro as long as the kids (aged about 14 - 16) can
get along with it. But I need some cds to get started.

I'm currently using Mandrake 10.1, but I can't burn the 20 (odd) copies
of the 6 cds I've just downloaded.

Any suggestions or advice would be very gratefully received on any
related topic - availability of CDs, distros, RM networks, Linux in
schools, etc.

Many thanks,

Simon