Re: [Fsfe-uk] Zope UK?

From: James Heald
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Zope UK?
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 23:36:27 +0100

Alex Hudson wrote:

Hey everyone.

Does anyone here have anything to do with, or had any contact with, the
"Zope UK Association"?

        http://www.zopeuk.org/

        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/23/open_source_trade_association/

Supposedly this is a general "Open Source" organisation, although it
does seem quite plainly aimed at Python/Plone/Zope. It would be useful
to know if anyone here is part of it before we go trying to contact them
separately :D

Cheers,

Alex.

As a Content Management System, Zope has been very successful in establishing itself with a lot of continental governments and public organisations -- it's said that in France, if you now want to use a CMS other than Zope for a public project, you have to submit a detailed memo saying why.

One of the key selling points is how, being open source, diferent public bodies can use Zope/Python/Plone solutions and build on each others' work.

There were quite a lot of Zope/Plone/Python people at ACCU in Oxford last week (the last two days of which included a whole Python UK meet). Paul Everitt of Zope was there for the whole programme, and there were several mentions of the launch do in the Houses of Parliament.

My impression is that this is primarily an umbrella group for people providing Zope-based solutions/support; but acceptance of Zope may act as a spearhead for other Open Source / Free Software offerings.

"Zope is an open source web application server primarily written in the Python programming language. It has many features to rival closed source alternatives including a transactional object oriented database, dynamic HTML templates, scripts, a search engine and many connectors to the leading relational database platforms."

Paul Everitt was at the panel session I did on Software Patents, but I never really got to talk to him -- I imagined that pushing Zope was message enough for the Houses of Parliament launch, and they probably wouldn't have wanted the topic of eg software patents raised there.

But I probably should have tried to find out from him whether he has made contacts who might be able to bring any influence to bear.