Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?

From: Simon Waters
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Bill Gates to get a knighthood?
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:10:58 +0000

MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-01-25 21:33:09 +0000 Philip Hunt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> While it could be argued that this doesn't matter, because a
>> knighthood is merely a symbolic title, I feel it is important
>> because people will tend to think of Gates in an undeservedly good light,
>
> [...]
>
> I doubt that. Every time a computer is crashed by his firm's software,
> the opposite seems to happen.

Rarely though do people do anything about it, like change to a system
that doesn't crash as often (or doesn't crash at all).

> Please play the ball, not the man.

Much as I'm not keen on the business practices of Microsoft, Bill the
man has given a lot of money (yes real money, not just computer
software) to charities, many of whom work to improve the lot of the
worlds' poorest inhabitants. In that sense I think he deserves a
Knighthood, just not for 'services to global enterprise'.

One might use the honours system to promote our own political goals -
however most of those I know involved in the politics of free software
might turn it down as an outdated relic of empire.

Perhaps we should check which of the luminaries of the movement think a
Knighthood would be fun - it then becomes a story to hang material onto
- and I'm sure the Palace would be grateful of nominations that aren't
likely to be turned down.