[Fsfe-uk] Revisions to UK patent law published

From: Paul Mobbs
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] Revisions to UK patent law published
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 11:00:41 +0000

Hi all,

The text of the revisions to the patents act is out. Mostly it's
administrative stuff. The big issue is the linking to the approval processes
of the European Patents Convention into UK law, in particular whether this
would implement Article 52(2)(c) of the convention into UK law -- "schemes,
rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing games or doing
business, and programs for computers".

Text of bill online at (HTML + PDF):
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200304/ldbills/018/2004018.htm

To refer to the European Patent Convention see the European Patent Office
pages at:
http://www.european-patent-office.org/legal/epc/

Text of No.10 press release (included below):
http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/page5192.asp

Patents Bill published

Planned changes to the Patents law will help business turn bright ideas into
success.

The Bill's proposals will provide a more supportive framework, particularly
for small businesses, to enforce patent rights and ensure that UK patent law
continues to underpin and promote innovation.

Measures include:

* enabling the Patent Office to provide an independent non-binding opinion on
patent validity or infringement to settle disputes over patent rights without
parties having to resort to expensive litigation;

* bringing UK patent law into line with the revised European Patent Convention
to reduce bureaucracy and make it simpler for UK businesses to operate across
Europe;

* modernising UK patent law to be more responsive to customers needs by for
example, allowing the Patent Office to make amendments to application forms
without amending regulations; and

* modifying existing protection for alleged infringers to encourage
out-of-court settlement of disputes whilst still deterring patent owners from
making unreasonable allegations of infringement.

Lord Sainsbury, Minister for Science & Innovation, said:

"The Government is committed to improving the environment necessary to support
and encourage innovation. Effective, flexible and up-to-date patent law is
essential to help businesses turn bright ideas into successful products and
processes."

 END

==========

"We are not for names, nor men, nor titles of Government, nor are we for
this party nor against the other but we are for justice and mercy and
truth and peace and true freedom, that these may be exalted in our nation,
and that goodness, righteousness, meekness, temperance, peace and unity
with God, and with one another, that these things may abound."
(Edward Burroughs, 1659 - from 'Quaker Faith and Practice')

Paul Mobbs, Mobbs' Environmental Investigations,
tel./fax (+44/0)1295 261864

email - address@hidden
website - http://www.fraw.org.uk/mobbsey/index.html