Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software

From: Tom Coady
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: [centres] Re: Free Libre Open Source Software
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:59:57 +0000

Paul said the following on 11/01/2004 14:44:

Have you thought of having a word with Jason to see if UKPost will do
you a bulk deal? I'm currently paying a fiver a year for my UKPost email
box and it's provided totally top-notch service, plus has a really
friendly web based interface.

Actually I was considering hosting the mx server on site, but I guess this may not be the cleverest idea given the limitations on security at this location. I was also thinking fastmail.fm could be a good solution but I agree the interface provided by open webmail looks nicer than something like squirrelmail. Is UKPost the org that is setting aside some of its profits for FLOSS development?

The idea of freeing up education so they are not tied into one supplier
and should get the best for their money, is, IMO, complete bumpkin. If
they were doing that, then we would be seeing a rather rapid vanishing
act by MS as Licence 6 and the cost of continued patching, hack attacks,
virus protection and everything else MS products are prone to doesn't
represent anything nearing good value for money.
I guess this may have already been raised and answered, but do some exam boards still stipulate MS Office use in their curriculum? If not explicitly, then implicitly.