Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gnu/Linux and freedom (was Linux in Thailand.)

From: Nick
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Gnu/Linux and freedom (was Linux in Thailand.)
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:13:22 +0000

The discussion about details of my posting reminds me of an apocryphal tale of a shop which said:

You can have it

Fast
Cheap
Good

...Choose any two.

There are trade-offs whenever you write something. If there weren't, then you could write something quickly, with little effort, which is clear to everyone, has almost unlimited content, is totally accurate and is short.

The issue is: What should be the minimum level of rigour? Rigour has costs in terms of accessibility, effort and length. The level of rigour depends on the audience. Given the type of reply I was originally responding to, I believe the level of rigour was appropriate.

The level of rigour wasn't as high as would be needed to inform seasoned members of the free software community, but I didn't post it to do that. I posted it to put some fizz into the communities ability to reach out.