Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?

From: Ramanan Selvaratnam
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] BECTA discriminate against FLOSS?
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:13:40 +0000

Hi,

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 23:38, Chris Croughton wrote:

> What I've heard about MS working conditions make me not want to work
> there, for a start.  Far too "big business".

To associate most software related work with physically being in a place
is fast becoming a thing of the past. I hope people are considering this
while trying to plan for a better future.

> > > Red Hat is not a good example (it
> > > seems to me that they are breaking the spirit of FLOSS
> >
> > Please, can you explain what is the spirit of FLOSS broken by Redhat?
>
> Taking developer fixes and code from 'Fedora' and passing them on to the
> 'Enterprise' version for sale?

Since you mention no licence terms are broken can I assume you are
against the model Redhat has perfected to make money out of software
itself.
I would have imagined they are hoping to rake it in with Fedora support
too.

All the best to them.

> I haven't been fond of RH for ages (try building a kernel with their
> patches which is the same as the one they supply as binary, for
> instance), but they seem to be going further into the idea of "let's
> make money off the developers".

Kernel developers?

>   Which is of course allowed by the free
> software licences, but if the developers get the impression they are
> working "for free" for someone else to sell their work how long will
> they continue to do it?

Maybe they committed suicide. Maybe you are correct in that Redhat will
continue to show new ways to make money out of free software.

> The "spirit of FLOSS" is that people put back into the community.  RH
> don't seem to be much interested in honouring that any more...

Damn! http://people.redhat.com/ has also gone all upmarket!
Maybe you are right. The developers all became rich and decided to
retire.

Ramanan