Re: [Fsfe-uk] Research report - potential use of Open Source Software in

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Research report - potential use of Open Source Software in the UK
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 17:48:48 GMT

Michael Gough <address@hidden> wrote:
> http://www.ncc.co.uk/aboutncc/pdfs/OS_execsumm.pdf

Michael, if you wanted comments on this, why did you put copy-paste
prevention on the PDF?  It's only a summary, not the full report.  Anyway...

  On the one hand, many different types of software licence satisfy the OSI
  definition, including Free Software produced by the Free Software
  Foundation under the GNU General Public Licence.

Free Software under a range of other licences also meets the OSI defintion
of their term, as both the OSI and FSF lists of licences show.

In section 1.4, the opportunity to comment on the benefits of the licence is
missed.  I think this is what the comment "the software is critical to the
user's control of his/her business;" is wanting to say, but no comment is
given.

I take your comments about support not being easy to find in section 1.6 on
board and I think it is important for AFFS to address this.  I think NCC
could be of assistance here too, but I don't know if you're interested.
If you are, give me a call.

In section 1.9, you comment about "aggregators".  I'm not entirely sure what
you're expecting these players to do that they aren't already, besides
growing and advertising themselves more?

Please keep us informed as to how this report is received.  If you didn't
want comments... well, sorry... ;)

--