Re: [Fsfe-uk] Constitution - Voting

From: Alistair Davidson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Constitution - Voting
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 18:08:24 +0000

At 05:50 PM 2/4/02 +0000, John Seago wrote:
I  used to sit on the council of a national voluntary membership
organisation. whilst it was unincorporated the rules used to specify both
a finite number for a quorum at AGM's, and a percentage, I can't remember
how it was worded, but it should not be beyond those on this list to come
up with a formula.

This also has a bearing on the likelihood of any members voting, the same
body used postal voting on prepaid forms for Elections,I don't know what
the figures are now, but in the past they very rarely exceeded 1.5 > 2%.
Trade Unions use a similar means and I believe they have a higher rate of
return but I wouldn't hold out great hopes for either attendance or
participation, so I would recommend setting figures on the very low side.
Arguments that this disenfranchises non attendees/voters don't hold up as
all get equal opportunity to participate.

The only real reason for quorum in the first place is that the quorum defines the minimum size of any conspiracy to alter the rules of the organisation. I don't think anyone will seriously complain about being disenfranchised because of a low quorum unless a quorum-sized conspiracy somehow emerges. I doubt it'll happen, if AFFS is reasonably large.

On a side-note, I just found out that a man from the FSF will be speaking at Strathclyde University on Thursday. Odd that it was announced to Glasgow University's computer department but not on the FSF-UK list :)