Re: Freetype 2.9

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Freetype 2.9
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:39:04 +0000 (UTC)

> I am trying to compile OpenJDK 8u777 64-bit on Solaris. To do this I
> need freetype.

Please always try the lastest FreeType version.  If compilation still
fails, please retry with HEAD of current git.  Version 2.9 is more
than three years old; we probably have fixed this bug meanwhile (if it
is a bug at all).

> I am getting the following error messages:
>
> checking for FREETYPE... yes
> checking for freetype... yes (using pkg-config)
> checking if we can compile and link with freetype... no
> configure: Could not compile and link with freetype. This might be a
> 32/64-bit mismatch.
> configure: Using FREETYPE_CFLAGS=-I/usr/sfw/include
> -I/usr/sfw/include/freetype2   and FREETYPE_LIBS=-R/usr/sfw/lib
> -L/usr/sfw/lib -lfreetype
> configure: error: Can not continue without freetype.
> /javabuild/jdk8u-777c3a63d228/common/autoconf/generated-configure.sh: line
> 82: 5: Bad file number
>
> It is suggesting there could be a 32/64-bit mismatch.  I am using a
> 64-bit version of Oracle JDK 7u80 however I am unable to determine
> if Freetype 2.9 is 32-bit or 64-bit - I've tried to research online
> but am still unsure. Can you advise please?

The `file` utility program is your friend.  Search the file
`libfreetype.x.y.z` in directory `/usr/sfw/lib` and type

  file libfreetype.x.y.z

(where x, y, and z are numbers).  The result should be something like

  libfreetype.so.6.18.0: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64,
    version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked,
    BuildID[sha1]=bfdfb36d89aa74c2d91f3b9e0f624db90470d0db,
    with debug_info, not stripped

If the problem persists please send the file `builds/unix/config.log`
(as a compressed attachment) for further investigation.