Re: [ft] Microsoft makes its 60, 000 patents open source to help Linux

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Microsoft makes its 60, 000 patents open source to help Linux
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2019 09:47:29 +0200 (CEST)

> I use ubuntu18.04, ubuntu use freetype to render fonts.  I think the
> font render effect for Chinese Character is not very good.

I doubt that your claim is correct.  If there are rendering issues
it's rather that the software stack on top of FreeType doesn't do the
right thing.  In particular, it often doesn't do proper gamma
correction while blitting bitmaps.

Please give examples.

> I see the news Microsoft makes its 60,000 patents open source to
> help Linux, this 60000 patents must contain patent for rendering
> font.  I want freetype use the patent can use to make render effect
> better.

AFAIK, there aren't any patents that directly affect FreeType's
low-level font rendering, and which aren't already handled.