Re: [ft] Prevent synthesis of Unicode charmap?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft] Prevent synthesis of Unicode charmap?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 16:07:05 -0500

> Is there a way to prevent FreeType from synthesizing a Unicode charmap, or
at least clearly identifying the synthesized charmap as such?

FT_Get_CMap_Format will return -1 for synthetic cmaps in TrueType
fonts, but also return -1 for all non-TrueType cmaps

The synthetic cmap is added last, which makes the original cmap first.

> In practice, right now we just look up a charmap with either
TT_ADOBE_ID_STANDARD or TT_ADOBE_ID_CUSTOM encoding, which essentially
works.

This is a great solution. The synthetic cmap would not set those.
Disabling the synthetic unicode is actually a bad solution. You can
disable the psnames module but other applications would not like
that.