Re: [ft] FREETYPE_PROPERTIES alternative?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] FREETYPE_PROPERTIES alternative?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 19:05:03 +0200 (CEST)

> You are right, no configurable setting could fix fonts in Chrome, only
> downgrade to 2.6.5.

Mhmm, you should have some success probably with current git of
FreeType – there was a bug, as mentioned in the report.  Maybe current
Chrome git versions allow `FREETYPE_PROPERTIES'...

> I tried to  hardcode "truetype:interpreter-version=35"
> The fonts in Chrome looks: http://i.imgur.com/g9q9y2I.png
> Note the bold font in names.

There must be something else going on.  What I see in this image is
B/W rendering of the fonts!  This is *not* related to interpreter
version 35, which of course supports anti-aliasing.

Note that only a very small set of fonts available today have good
enough B/W hinting.