Re: [ft] (Font) How can I edit a font, make all sizes look like 9pt hint

From: jimbo1qaz
Subject: Re: [ft] (Font) How can I edit a font, make all sizes look like 9pt hinting?
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 23:09:37 -0800

Is there any reason I can't extract the modified glyphs produced by the hinting bytecode? I think that version looks nearly *perfect*.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I find the printed/actual design of DejaVu Sans Mono too wide. The
> hinting at 9pt makes it look taller, and I like the resulting
> glyphs.

Ah, you want a condensed version of DejaVu.

> How can I make the entire font look that way (taller, adjusted
> glyphs)?

With native bytecode hinting, this is not easily possible.  You might
use different DPI values for x and y, but this can easily break
because there are no longer (popular) devices with different x and y
resolutions (ClearType is handled differently), thus people no longer
take care in manually crafting correct bytecode for this situation.

On the other hand, if you use v40 hinting in FreeType, scaling
horizontally with a transformation matrix might give good results
because v40 ignores almost all hints along the x axis, thus scaling
after hinting doesn't degrade the output.

> If I can't do this, I may create a vertically stretched version of
> DejaVu Sans.  Maybe I may even redraw the glyphs to create my own
> font that looks like DejaVu 9pt, even when printed out.

Well, you are free to do so, but this is *a lot* of work...