Re: [ft] Missing glyphs vs. invisible glyphs for certain characters

From: Preet
Subject: Re: [ft] Missing glyphs vs. invisible glyphs for certain characters
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 10:25:05 -0500

Hi all,

Thanks for the clarifications.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 9:51 AM, Adam Twardoch (List) <address@hidden> wrote:
For Unicode text layout, apps should use a Unicode text processing library such as ICU, and a glyph layout library such as Harfbuzz before querying FreeType for glyph images.

I am using both Harfbuzz and ICU to do my text shaping and layout. It doesn't change that I still need to manually go through the text, look out for these characters and ensure they aren't drawn at all. My thought process was more like a LF, CR, tab, etc just control layout. They shouldn't have any visible component (unless you have some specialized font). I would have thought fonts would map them to a specific invisible glyph rather than the visible missing glyph symbol.

I wasn't sure how this is typically handled and the extra step of 'getting rid' of those characters seemed a bit strange so I just wanted to verify.

Preet