[ft] Missing glyphs vs. invisible glyphs for certain characters

From: Preet
Subject: [ft] Missing glyphs vs. invisible glyphs for certain characters
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 08:48:31 -0500

Hi all

I've tried a few fonts out and I seem to be getting the same behaviour: The zero index is returned for a few glyphs that I thought would be 'invisible' such as line feed or tab when I call FT_Get_Char_Index(...). After rendering, the zero index glyph shows up as the visible 'missing glyph' symbol.

Is this expected behavior? When rendering is it normal to go through the text and get rid of these characters before getting glyphs from FreeType? I'm aware FreeType isn't laying out the text, but I guess I thought the layout characters would have invisible glyphs.

Preet