Re: [ft] Possible issue in FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Possible issue in FreeType
Date: Thu, 28 May 2015 10:59:17 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Jose!

>> Since I'm not too familiar with the package yet I have a question
>> about one particular piece of code that could result in an invalid
>> memory segment read or stack fault.
>>

>> Version: 2.5.5
>> File src/tools/apinames.c

The good news: This file is *not* part of the FreeType library itself;
it is only used to automatically generate the export definition file
of the library (mainly for Windows), needed during compilation.
Additionally, this code is only executed if you create such a file for
the Watcom C compiler.

>> In the case that the process flow executes code inside the "if"
>> statement at line 170: "if ( dot != NULL )", there is a line of
>> code where "dll_name" points to a local variable "temp" which
>> becomes invalid outside "if" block.  So in the next for loop
>> "dll_name" variable could point to an invalid memory segment.

Thanks for the analysis; this is now corrected in the git repository.

>> I really appreciate if anyone can address this question and tell me
>> whether is a real issue or not since you know much better the
>> package and can analyze the code deeply.

As mentioned above, it's rather harmless – and fixed :-)