Re: [ft] Faster computation of text width?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Faster computation of text width?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:54:33 +0100 (CET)

> If the ABI can only be introduced and never removed, every library
> early or later will become an overbloated huge monster, that no one
> wants to use.  In this moment will come some "lightType" library,
> that will replace the old dead one.

Correct.  There are ideas to provide a lighter interface for a
forthcoming FreeType 3, but this won't come quickly.  Additionally,
I'm bad at designing APIs...

> In fact, the cache code is so useful, that not developing it is a
> huge mistake.

Volunteers welcomed!

> On the other hand, its functions are so different than the other
> FreeType functions, that maybe it worth to make them a separate
> library...

Mhmm, probably not very useful, since it is tightly integrated to
FreeType.  If you don't need its functionality it is easy to
deactivate this module.

> BTW, if the author discarded this task, how the "beta" will become
> "release"?

`Beta' essentially means that I reserve the right to apply larger
changes if necessary.  On the other hand, the caching code is probably
widely used, and changes to it would be an unpleasant surprise to many
users.