[ft] Building freetype with emscripten for use in a browser?

From: Dan Stromberg
Subject: [ft] Building freetype with emscripten for use in a browser?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:59:47 -0800

I'm hoping to build the latest freetype with the latest emscripten to
obtain a javascript version of freetype.

I can build freetype pretty easily if I use cmake+make, but apparently
building with cmake doesn't provide a freetype-config script, and I
probably need a freetype-config to build SDL_ttf.  I really just want
freetype so I can use SDL_ttf.

freetype's build system seems to want --host and --build, but they
seem to need to be GNU config.guess system types.  I don't think
emscripten works that way, despite trying a system description
recommended on an emscripten mailing list.

The emscripten doc suggests using emconfigure ./configure to pass the
relevant environment variables to configure to make a cross compile
for javascript work. But freetype's doc seems to say you should not
try to pass custom env vars to freetype's build system.

Is this irreconcilable?

Thanks.