Re: [ft] Rendering differences between 2.3.12 and 2.5.3

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft] Rendering differences between 2.3.12 and 2.5.3
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 11:56:10 -0500

>> This is the change that you want to undo for yourself
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=cea9d7a6820bf7cca8d79d813908ce085a3d3d5d
>
> Does this also undo the changes to the italicized text? From
> a quick glance at the diff it looks as if this affects
> FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden() only. But as you can see in the two
> pictures from my last mail, FT_GlyphSlot_Oblique() is also
> affected.

Perhaps this:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freetype/freetype2.git/commit/?id=04affa270bd415136da6818643c07e838ba3da47

> Of course, patching freetype is not a very elegant solution
> for me. I'd much prefer if there was a flag or something that
> one could set to force the old look without having to hack
> freetype... any chance for such a feature?

Not a chance. Things change and improve. Freezing is akin using an old
version. Plus Freetype is a low level library. The unmodified advance
is available to you before you embolden or slant glyphs. You can
modify advance to your own liking and never depend on Freetype to
layout your text.