Re: [ft] iOS 7 system font Helvetica Neue horribly mis-hinted with FreeT

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] iOS 7 system font Helvetica Neue horribly mis-hinted with FreeType 2.5.3
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 16:27:47 +0200 (CEST)

> I have some absolutely minimal FreeType code that just tries to
> render simple A-Z glyphs with the iOS system font, "Helvetica Neue
> Interface."
>
> I am seeing FT results that are horribly disfigured like the
> attached file bad_hinting.png or you can see the same image here:
>
> http://postimg.org/image/dplczjbeb/

Hinting?  AFAIK, Apple platforms don't do hinting at all.

> As you can see, random character strokes are thick and random
> strokes are thin, as if FT were trying to fit my text to some coarse
> grid.

To check whether there is a problem with the hinting as done with
FreeType, you should copy the font to a Windows platform and compare
the results.

Looking at the first font in the TTC with ftview, I get decent results
if I activate subpixel hinting.