Re: [ft] Regression in font clarity with Adobe engine

From: Dave Arnold
Subject: Re: [ft] Regression in font clarity with Adobe engine
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:25:02 -0800

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sending the screen shots. It gives me a better idea of what you are
seeing.

Are you finding any problems with Nimbus Sans or Sans, or just with Cantarell?

As Werner says, we expect rendering differences in CFF fonts for 2.5.0, so I
assume you are using a CFF version of Cantarell. I agree it is surprising how
much darker the 2.5.0 rendering of Cantarell is in your screen shot. Also, it
is showing overshoot at baseline and x-height. That would contribute to
fuzziness.

I'd like to understand this better, but I have not been able to locate an
OpenType/CFF version of Cantarell; I can find only OpenType/TrueType versions.
Could you send me a copy of the font you are using for your test?

Thanks.

-Dave