Re: [ft] /usr/bin/install cannot stat `./builds/unix/freetype-config'

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] /usr/bin/install cannot stat `./builds/unix/freetype-config'
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 14:17:18 +0100 (CET)

> For our product at work, we build freetype from source, through a
> Makefile:
>
>   cd build/freetype-* \
>   && ./configure --prefix=$(PREFIX) \
>   && $(MAKE) install

You are aware that this is not the standard incantation, right?  It
should rather be

  cd build/freetype-* \
  && ./configure --prefix=$(PREFIX) \
  && $(MAKE) \
  && $(MAKE) install

and we are documenting this.  BTW, it is good practice to build a
program as non-root, then doing the installation with `sudo' or
something similar.  If this doesn't matter to you, you might say

  $(MAKE) all install

instead.

> I've come up with this, does that seem sensible?
>
> -install: $(PROJECT_LIBRARY)
> +install: $(PROJECT_LIBRARY) all

My gut feeling says that this is not a good idea.