Re: [ft] Large delta_y for hinted vs unhinted "COMBINING CARON BELOW" gl

From: Nigel Tao
Subject: Re: [ft] Large delta_y for hinted vs unhinted "COMBINING CARON BELOW" glyph
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 21:53:34 +1100

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The (vertical) difference between the hinted and unhinted COMBINING
>> CARON BELOW glyphs seems excessive (more than 0.5em) compared to the
>> change for similar glyphs (e.g. indexes 730, 731, 732, 735) and for
>> the CARON (index 649), both from eyeballing it in ftgrid, and from
>> the command line program below.
>>
>> My question is: is this a bug in freetype, a bug in the font, or is
>> this all working as intended and a hinted "COMBINING CARON BELOW"
>> really is much different from its unhinted version?
>
> As previously discussed: It was a bug in FreeType, which is now fixed.

Forgive me if I misunderstand, but your
0001-truetype-Correctly-reset-point-tags-for-glyph-compon.patch fixes
one issue, in that the circumflex for glyph #2171 was half 'high' and
half 'low' when hinted. After applying the patch, the circumflex is
entirely 'low', the same as glyph #733, but that still looks wrong to
me (when comparing hinted vs unhinted). In other words, the problem I
noted in the original post I made 7 days ago still isn't fixed, and
that's the thing we're waiting for a response from Microsoft, right?