[ft] Management of resources for bitmap

From: Jacques Beaumont
Subject: [ft] Management of resources for bitmap
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 11:48:30 -0500

First congratulation to the developers. The Free type
  library is just a wonderful resource.

   I'd like to manage memory in glyph to bitmap conversion
   in order to optimize performance. I may miss something but
   I could not find a routine to do that.

   Here is the context.
   I am developing a graphic front end interface which requires annotation,
   essentially small string <128 chars, that I send to the graphic engine
   through the texture buffer.

   Now in order to preserve flexibility e.g. rendering fonts of different size
and color
   I'd like to proceed this way. Load in memory the font file, scan my strings,
render
   them in a memory buffer large enough to accomodate any given string and then
   load the rendered string in the texture buffer for later placement on
graphics.

    I can do all this, but I cannot manage memory resources for bitmap. The
FT_Render_Glyph
    routine allocates memory for each bit map and does not let me assign my own
resources.
    the FT_Outline_Render allows me to memory management, but I could never get
it to work well
    when I mix different types of fonts and size (need for
subscript/superscript and mixing greek and latin
    letters). I'd like to use the render used by FT_Render_Glyph and manage the
resources myself

    Any suggestions??

Sincerely,
Jacques

Jacques Beaumont Ph.D.
Visiting Professor
Department of Pharmacology
Upstate Medical University of SUNY
Adjunct Associate Professor
Department of Biomedical and Chemical Engineering
Syracuse University

Phone: 315-464-8007