Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek fonts questions

From: Dmitry Timoshkov
Subject: Re: [ft] [ft-devel] Latin, Cyrillic, and Greek fonts questions
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 16:46:08 +0900

Hi Werner,

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have two questions:
>
>   1.  Do Cyrillic or Greek outline fonts exist which don't contain the
>       ASCII characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9?

I can speek only about Cyrillic here, but I haven't seen any cyrillic font
without latin letters and 0-9 digits. It simply doesn't make sence since
often texts have mixed cyrillic/latin-based context.

>   2.  Do you know of any Cyrillic or Greek fonts where the lowercase
>       and uppercase glyph heights differ from the heights of the Latin
>       glyphs?  Given that all three alphabets share e.g. characters
>       `A' and `o', this rather sounds implausible, but who knows...

Again regarding Cyrillic that's not the case, and very often for instance
truetype fonts (Arial is one of them) have cyrillic glyphs as a composite
of the existing latin ones with a transform/composition applied: an example
is: Я -> R with a mirroring transform attached.

--
Dmitry.