Re: [ft] Getting Vector Data form FT_GlyphSlot Render through OpenGL

From: Piyush Verma
Subject: Re: [ft] Getting Vector Data form FT_GlyphSlot Render through OpenGL
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 12:12:04 +0530

Hi Suzuki,

arigato gozaimasu :)

Thank you very much for gr8 information.

To retrieve the vector data from TTF via FreeType2, FT_Outline_Decompose()
function would be useful. Giving a function pointer table calling the functions
to move currentpoint, or to draw straight, cubic or conic curves, FT_Outline_Decompose()
calls them to trace the vector data in the "outline" member in glyph slot.

>> Is there any example of using "FT_Outline_Decompose()" or I need to dig in code.

The objection might be that the rasterized result by OpenGL cannot be
cached by FreeType2 (FreeType2 has a cache subsystem), so rendering a
long text with small charset could be slow.

>> We can cache the resultant in FrameBuffer Object So FreeType2 Function will be called only once. But still in first rendering it will save rasterization computation. and give capability to render text on the fly in Embedded Devices

Regards,
mpsuzuki

--
Thanks & Regards