[ft] License question

From: Takeyoshi Kobayashi
Subject: [ft] License question
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 11:21:13 +0100

Dear FreeType-Team,

I am developing a software that is to use the FreeType library. However, I do not plan to open the source to anyone since it might become commercial some time.
I read the "FreeType/BSD-like" licence agreement and did not found any references as to when or if developers using/linking your library actually have to open their code ala GPL.

Since I was not able to locate a license-FAQ (there is one for GPL though) which would explain law-english with plain english, I wanted to inquire the authors directly for clarification.

Does linking (statically or dynamically)  and/or using output from the project obligate me to open my sources?

I do not mind putting credits info in the form as suggested in the licence agreement (or any other form for that matters) into my software. However, opening my code (open source) would render the  FTL  useless to me.

Please advice.

Many thanks in advance.

Best Wishes and a happy new year.

Takeyoshi