Re: [ft] Problem of oblique using FT_Outline_Transform

From: Wang Wei
Subject: Re: [ft] Problem of oblique using FT_Outline_Transform
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:12:28 +0800

Thanks for the quick reply. Indeed the bearing is incorrect.

I've compared my machine's arial.ttf with ariali.ttf, the result is ariali.ttf has a "v" that has 3 more pixels of left bearing than arial.ttf  ( both at pt size 42, dpi 78 ). It could be due to ariali.ttf is a manually corrected "true italic" font.

So the method of synthesizing oblique only with transformed glyphs while still maintaining the same horiBearing and same advance could introduce such problems.

Is there a good way to handle this in Freetype ? I've manually tried using the GIMP's shear transform on the whole sentence and it looks kind of alright to create an oblique effect.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:19 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. Comparing non-oblique(upper) with synthesized oblique(lower)
>    renderings
> Link: http://imgur.com/tdvwc
>
> My main problem is that "v" and "e" are farther away than
> expected. ("o" and "v" appears nearer, too).

The `v' glyph is definitely positioned incorrectly, namely far too
left.  After slanting, this glyph doesn must *not* touch the left
turquoise line.  It seems that the left side bearing hasn't been taken
into account.

Best regards,
Wang Wei