[ft] Re: Conditionalize Bzip2-compressed font support for inflexible dyn

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft] Re: Conditionalize Bzip2-compressed font support for inflexible dynamic linker platforms
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 05:37:33 +0200 (CEST)

> To prevent the trouble, I wrote a patch to do following workarounds:

Thanks a lot!

>      - Support for PCF files compressed with bzip2 has been contributed
>        by Joel  Klinghed.  To  make this  work, the  OS must  provide a
> -      bzip2 library.
> +      bzip2 library.  To prevent the unresolved symbol troubles,  this
> +      feature is disabled by default on the platforms without flexible
> +      linker (e.g. Mac OS X).  New option "--enable-new-dependency" is
> +      added to configure script to enable the feature forcibly.

The name of this new command line argument is quite cryptic.  If at
all, shouldn't this be `--enable-new-dependencies'?  Could you find a
better name which is derived from the option's functionality instead
of the compatibility to older versions?

You must have a special procedure in mind which I haven't grasped yet.
I know nothing about the linker on Macs, I just wonder why zlib is
handled differently compared to bzip2...