Re: [ft] Monochrome text renderer

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft] Monochrome text renderer
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 15:18:37 +0200 (CEST)

> I need to render glyph with different outline color in
> monochrome. Example2 looks great (.../tutorial/example2.cpp) but
> seems that works only in anti-aliasing mode.

The problem is that (a) fonts are normally not set up to be handled as
outline fonts and that (b) the same is true for FreeType's B/W
rasterizer.

For larger sizes you might try to raster a glyph 4 times with the
outline color (shifted ±1 pixels left/right and top/down), then a
fifth time with the glyph color at the default position.

I'm not aware of a better solution for small sizes (except you develop
a rasterizer for outlines which is capable of handling dropouts).